with ivory fittings, inscribed "Used by Thomas Hardy at Max Gate 20 years, and given by Emma Hardy to their Vicar Ri. Grosvenor Bartelot 7 July 1912", with further scratched inscription on the bottom by the recipient, confirming that Mrs Hardy gave the teapot as a momento in 1912.
Thomas Hardy was a neighbour at Max Gate and parishioner of Grosvenor Bartelot's for 22 years. Rev. Bartelot attended regular teatimes with Mrs Hardy who was keen for her husband to take a greater interest in the church.
£300 - £500
Bidding ended. Lot has been sold.
Provenance: The Bartelot Family Collection, mostly the property of Rev. Richard Grosvenor Bartelot FSA, Rector of Fordington, Dorchester 1907-1939, or his son Major R St G G Bartelot.
Grosvenor Bartelot was born in 1868 and went to Crewkerne Grammar School and Wadham College, Oxford, in the 1880s. In the next two decades he served as curate at Corfe Castle, Anglican chaplain in Turin, and as the Bishop of Salisbury's missioner covering duties of other clergy all over Dorset. He became a noted antiquarian and genealogist and was elected FSA. Having been born a Bartlett, in 1898 he changed his name to the original Norman form, Bartelot. In 1906 he became Vicar of Fordington St George, Dorchester, and next year he married Evelyn, daughter of Alfred Pope Esq of South Court and Wrackleford House, founder of the Eldridge Pope brewery. Having retired in 1936 to Timsbury, Somerset, he died in 1947.