REVEREND R. GROSVENOR BARTELOT: MONOGRAPHS AND MANUSCRIPTS
including: "The Prebendal Church of Saint George at Fordington: Notes on its medieval floor tiles" (2 copies); "The Vanished Medieval Castles of Dorset" (2 copies), his original manuscript of the essay and medal for winning the Mansell Pleydell Essay Prize for 1942; "Dorset Clocks and Clockmakers" (2 copies); Old Clocks and Watches and their Maker"Old Clocks of Wessex"; "Fourteenth Century Life in Bridport", four
£50 - £100
Bidding ended. Lot has been sold.
typed manuscripts of talks for the BBC, broadcast 1924; copy of a monograph and various correspondence; and three other manuscripts (a lot)
Provenance: The Bartelot Family Collection, mostly the property of Rev. Richard Grosvenor Bartelot FSA, Rector of Fordington, Dorchester 1907-1939, or his son Major R St G G Bartelot.
Grosvenor Bartelot was born in 1868 and went to Crewkerne Grammar School and Wadham College, Oxford, in the 1880s. In the next two decades he served as curate at Corfe Castle, Anglican chaplain in Turin, and as the Bishop of Salisbury's missioner covering duties of other clergy all over Dorset. He became a noted antiquarian and genealogist and was elected FSA. Having been born a Bartlett, in 1898 he changed his name to the original Norman form, Bartelot. In 1906 he became Vicar of Fordington St George, Dorchester, and next year he married Evelyn, daughter of Alfred Pope Esq of South Court and Wrackleford House, founder of the Eldridge Pope brewery. Having retired in 1936 to Timsbury, Somerset, he died in 1947.