WILLIAM BUSK (1861-1942) A woman peeling vegetables in an interior
signed and named on the back of the frame, inscribed on the back "Bought by Alfred Pope of South Court for 7gns on 7 November 1907 and given to Rev. Richard Grosvenor Bartelot", oil on canvas
£100 - £200
Bidding ended. Lot has been sold.
Bartelot was Rector of Fordington St. George, Dorchester 1906-1936. A portrait of his predecessor Rev. Henry Moule 1825-1904 by Busk is in the Dorset County Museum.
Provenance: The Bartelot Family Collection, mostly the property of Rev. Richard Grosvenor Bartelot FSA, Rector of Fordington, Dorchester 1907-1939, or his son Major R St G G Bartelot.
Grosvenor Bartelot was born in 1868 and went to Crewkerne Grammar School and Wadham College, Oxford, in the 1880s. In the next two decades he served as curate at Corfe Castle, Anglican chaplain in Turin, and as the Bishop of Salisbury's missioner covering duties of other clergy all over Dorset. He became a noted antiquarian and genealogist and was elected FSA. Having been born a Bartlett, in 1898 he changed his name to the original Norman form, Bartelot. In 1906 he became Vicar of Fordington St George, Dorchester, and next year he married Evelyn, daughter of Alfred Pope Esq of South Court and Wrackleford House, founder of the Eldridge Pope brewery. Having retired in 1936 to Timsbury, Somerset, he died in 1947.